Today was such a beautiful day in an old fashioned way. My little women helped to introduce the lil miss Samantha to our friends and family today. She's six weeks old and such a good baby. We even got in multiple photo shoots. While expecting our firstborn we enjoyed a traditional shower. But the second time around, the pregnancy was just harder. So we opted for a meet & greet shower. And I'm glad we did for these ten reasons.
1. The baby bump was cute the first time. Second time? I felt like showing off the baby not the bulge. And just look at her posing like Aubrey Hepburn.
2. Because of my gestational diabetes, avoiding the sweet and savory shower treats would have been torturous. It was worth the wait, especially the tres leche cupcakes by Canvas Bakery.
3. Thanks to the extra time to prep for the shower (and thanks to the diligent planning efforts and listening skills of my dearest friend Cristina), I was able to make the day a bit more special in an old fashioned way. I got to show off some of the heirlooms that I'll be passing down to the lil miss like a tablecloth embroidered by my Hawaiian grandma. We also created a photo booth using thirty of my childhood dresses. Of course, all homemade by my Aunt Betty.
4. We had much more time to assign special projects to my uber creative mom. She knitted cup coozies, crocheted mini dress ornaments as party favors and sewed fabric pennants. And of course she made Samantha's headband, onesie and so many other little girl necessities. In the past, my Aunt Betty created many of the heirlooms I'll be passing down to Samantha. And today, my mom is creating many of the heirlooms that Samantha will pass down to her daughter. It's just overwhelming to me.
5. My mother in law helped out by watching little man so I could run errands and then she tackled a few projects herself like cooking a batch of mini pumpkin pancakes. She's such a generous lady.
6. My aunt was busy cooking herself and even whipped up a batch of old fashioned sherbet punch. My iced coffee wasn't a hit, but hey, I tried something new.
7. I'll always be thankful we opted for a meet and greet simply because my hipster dad couldn't wait for his turn in the photo booth. He's been practicing smiling for the lil miss.
8. Showers have always felt so stressful to me. And the hours leading up to the meet and greet were stressful but there's something about tending to the basics needs of your baby that reminds you to let the rest go.
9. It was beyond amazing to share my lil miss with my friends. The love on their faces...for my child...well, that's true friendship.
10. Children are a reward from God...and rewards are best enjoyed when shared.
It was a beautiful day and I'm so thankful for my dearest friend for caring enough to envision and organize the shower while also making sure my dad had a hot cup of coffee and saving a cupcake for my lil man. She decorated, took pictures and handeled all the things I forgot to get done with ease and calm. She's a gift.
A lil miss surrounded by all her little women. Only three words can describe this old fashioned blessing: God is good.